Blues defeat Reds in historic Samoa match

first_imgKerevi was forced off with a left ankle injury in the 10th minute of the historic clash at Apia Park, while second-rower Tui hurt his left shoulder just minutes into the second half.It is a double blow for Australian coach Michael Cheika, who picked them both in his 34-man squad for June’s trio of Tests.Tui, 20, looked shattered as he trudged off just a few days after his shock call-up.Kerevi, who was born in Fiji and desperate to play them next weekend in Melbourne, also cut a disconsolate figure as he spent most of the night with his ankle on ice.His injury was the last thing the Reds needed after making a disastrous start, with the Blues scoring two easy tries inside the opening seven minutes through Rene Ranger and Rieko Ioane.Instead of capitulating, the Reds fought back manfully in a second-half rollercoaster – but in the story of their season, they couldn’t finish the job.They went into halftime down 20-12 but piled on 10 unanswered points to take the lead – and, although they let it slip, they took it back instantly through Taniela Tupou’s second try of the night.Their resistance was finally broken with Stephen Perofeta’s runaway effort in the 74th minute.It continues Australia’s miserable losing run against New Zealand franchises, which stands at 27 consecutive defeats.However, Reds coach Nick Stiles will take heart from the performance after their embarrassing display at home last week against the Western Force, which ended their finals’ hopes.Stiles looked to youth as he made four changes to his starting side to try to provoke a response and two of the players he promoted, Tupou and Andrew Ready, scored tries.Flanker Adam Korzcyk also came off the bench to cross in the 52nd minute, while Quade Cooper converted three tries and kicked one penalty. Photo: PHOTOSPORT Rene Ranger scored a try for the Blues in Samoa tonight.last_img read more

Seibold dismisses Ponga talk

first_imgPhoto Getty Images Caption: Newcastle Knights full-back Kalyn Ponga Knights chief executive Philip Gardner this week stated that the Broncos are a “bigger” threat than New Zealand Rugby as he strives to tie Ponga down to a new deal.The 21-year-old Queensland State of Origin full-back, who has made no secret of his desire to play for the All Blacks, is contracted until the end of next year, so he will be a free agent to NRL clubs on November 1 if Newcastle cannot agree an extension.Broncos coach Seibold rates Ponga highly, but says salary-cap restrictions would make a move for the livewire Knights man unlikely.”If we had open slather of course I’d go for Kalyn Ponga because he’s an outstanding player but every club has got a salary cap and it is not like the [English] Premier League where you can pay what you want for a player,” Seibold said.”Certainly Kalyn hasn’t been in any conversation [with the Broncos]. I think any club in the competition would want someone like Kalyn in their group regardless of what position he plays.”We certainly haven’t spoken about him so I am not sure where that came from. We are guided by a salary cap, so that is pie in the sky sort of stuff.”last_img read more

McEnroe and Navratilova ask to change the name of the Margaret Court track and investigate them

first_imgJohn McEnroe and Martina Navratilova, two legends of tennis, appeared Tuesday on the 1573 track of the Australian Open with a banner wherein the legend “Evonne Goolagong Area” was handwritten. The reason being that each requested the day earlier than it was modified the name of the discipline that bears the name of former Australian participant Margaret Court, the second in significance of the event after the Rod Laver. The legendary People imagine that it’s not truthful for an individual to criticize homosexuality to be acknowledged in Melbourne Park. Navratilova, married to the mannequin Julia Lemigova since 2014, learn an open letter calling on the authorities to perform the name change and put the Goolagong, an aboriginal former winner of seven Grand Slams and who was primary in the world and is a member of the Worldwide Tennis Corridor of Fame. The US nationalized Czech believes that some manifestations of Court “are extraordinarily dangerous to the LGTBI group” and that the legends of the sport that give name to sure services are often “on the proper facet of the story,” and that “Court doesn’t belong to that class.” It isn’t the first time Martina asks for the elimination of naming of the track, he already did it in 2017, when Court vetoed the Qantas airline as a result of its president was homosexual and supported same-sex marriages.For this conduct, McEnroe and Navratilova are being investigated and might be fined, since the Australian Open, which makes it clear that it helps “the range, inclusion and proper of folks to have their very own imaginative and prescient, in addition to their proper to categorical that opinion,” says the event “has laws and protocols concerning how any fan, participant or visitor can use the services, the occasion and the world situation it affords, to guarantee its integrity. ”last_img read more

New demand from Neymar al Barça: 6.5 million claims

first_imgThe world reports Neymar has presented his third lawsuit against his former club, Barcelona. The Brazilian soccer player claims on this occasion, the club chaired by Josep Maria Bartomeu, 6.5 million euros for the fiscal contingencies that he had to face as a natural person for the fictitious contracts of his signings. This third demand added to the previous two reach the sum of 38.6 million euros claimed by the PSG footballer against Barcelona. In the first lawsuit, Neymar claimed the amount of 28.6 million euros to the Catalan club in January 2018 for the second part of the renewal premium that, by contract, was due before receiving the PSG.In Neymar’s second lawsuit against Barça (December 2019), the lawyers of the Brazilian player they claimed 3.5 million euros for non-payment of a part of your salary. Now Neymar and its surroundings return to the charge against the Barça directive and hinders their possible return to Can Barça in the near future.last_img read more

Griezmann knows the way

first_imgIt has not reached the figures of Messi; neither his Athletic It was as dominating as the Barça in the Bernabeu, but Antoine Griezmann he is a habitual suspect in Chamartin. After accumulating four losses in his first four visits with the Real society when he was just a kid, the Frenchman only lost twice in his nine visits with the red and white shirt to the white coliseum. Two falls, yes, very painful, because they were in Champions. The first, in the quarters of the 2014-15 season (the goal of Chicharito). The second, 3-0 in the first leg of the semifinals of the 2016-17 campaign, which left those of Simeone almost KO despite the attempt of feat in the second leg.Griezmann has scored only four goals in his 13 visits to the Bernabéu, but he got a lot of juice. A pass from Filipe Luis, scored the victory goal in the 2015-16 league league visit. The little Prince it also wet in the following two seasons. In the 2016-17 academic year he made a 1-1 that was very painful for Madrid. It was in the 85th minute. Griezmann repeated in the 1-1 of the 2017-18 season. ‘Usual suspect’ in the Bernabéu in recent years, the Frenchman hopes that the streak will expand with Barça. In Griezmann’s plans, of course, he is not left out of eleven. That absence in San Mamés in the quarterfinals of Cup it hurt. Believed that Setien He did not respect his gallons as a World Champion franchise player and star signing of the Barça season. In Naples showed gallons with the goal and hopes to repeat in Chamartín. Griezmann signed for Barça for matches such as Bernabéu. And hope not to fail. Courted by Madrid when he was an Atlético player, his only possible step in The league to grow it was Barça. He does not care about receiving the Bernabéu, but his prestige. And he doesn’t want to fail.last_img read more

Atlético, with one eye in Sevilla … and the other in Anfield

first_imgDavid Soria stopped Morata one on the 1st day of the League, Atlético-Getafe; Vaclik to Costa in the 12th, Sevilla-Atlético; Trippier marred at Lokomotiv, Champions. Not João Félix in that same game, nor Costa against Valencia, nor Morata against Barcelona in the Super Cup, nor Trippier in the final round against Madrid. Four marked and five wrong in total. And in front of Liverpool, round of eighths. A tie that Atlético wins 1-0 but that in Anfield could be settled on penalties. Simeone, just in case, worked on yesterday’s session.And that in Cholo that practice is not usual. “It doesn’t help much in training because then you go to the stadium and they have nothing to do with it,” he said in 2018. The pressure that has nothing to do with it. But, just in case, just in case the round of 16 ends, yesterday, on the Hill, his players tuned from eleven meters. Morata, João Félix, Saúl, Thomas, Koke, Trippier and even Costa. Everything is little for a match like that. Penalties are another one of those chains that Atlético is dragging this season. Penalties such as lack of goal and injuries. If the only batch he has faced he lost (Saul and Thomas missed their pitches), in the final of the Saudi Super Cup, against Madrid, during the games the account is not much further.last_img read more

Carvajal and Nacho, available for the Eibar visit on Friday

first_imgThe two exercised without problems with the group, leaving behind their respective influenza processes, which is why they did not travel to Seville to measure with Betis last Sunday. They were two sensitive casualties, as Zidane was forced to align Militao as a right back and the Brazilian suffered constantly with Fekir. Madrid fell defeated (2-1).At least Zidane will be able to count on both for Madrid-Eibar on Friday, which will take place behind closed doors, within the prevention protocol for the coronavirus established by the Government. It remains to be seen if Isco will arrive, who was also not in Seville for a low back pain. The Malaga man jumped on the grass and worked individually, touching ball; Courtois also did it, while Marcelo, Asensio and Hazard are still injured. The day began with two bad news for Real Madrid, as are the confirmations of the two injuries of Courtois and Marcelo. They will be out for about two weeks each, which will prevent them from playing against Eibar, Manchester City and Valencia, predictably. Although at least Zidane counted in training with the relief that he will be able to count on Eibar this Friday with Carvajal and Nacho.last_img read more

Thirty years of the fateful penalties of Pucela in Monaco

first_imgThese days television channels try to liven up the quarantine by replacing important games in the history of our country, such as 12-1 in Malta or the 2010 World Cup final against the Netherlands. In a blanquivioleta key, perhaps if one had to choose one, the fans could choose one of which an ephemeris has been celebrated these days: the day that Real Valladolid caressed a semi-final in European competition.On March 20, 1990, Pucela disputed the Recopa quarter-final return against Monaco, a match that came with 0-0 first leg and with the illusions intact., after eliminating Maltese Hamrun and Swedish Djugardens in the previous rounds, despite the fact that in the league the team led by Fernando Redondo flirted with the relegation places, of which he had just left thanks to the victory in Malaga (0-1). Good defense was key to keeping the Monegasque team at bay, which tried by all means with an attack led by a George Weah who had just landed in European football. Despite his attempts and those of the Argentine striker Ramón Díaz, as in Zorrilla, Ravnic’s goal remained untouched in the regulation 90 minutes … and in overtime, in which exhaustion prevented Real Valladolid from approaching Arsène Wenger’s area.In the penalty shootout the blanquivioletas were unable to get the pass. Janko Jankovic missed the first pitch, Albis scored the second and Moya ran into the wood. Ayarza, the last person in charge of throwing, did not hit the mark either, and Monaco, more successful in the supreme luck, was awarded the pass to the next round, in which he would end up being discharged by Sampdoria, in the end Recopa champion.Three decades after that, the echoes of the ‘Euro-Pucela’ can still be heard, arising from the voices of those who lived through this elimination (reaped without a single defeat) and who enjoyed the latest continental participation in the 1997 season years later. -98. Again, as on the previous occasion, the team fell under the orders of their third coach, this time Sergio Kresic. He did it against Spartak Moscow, in the UEFA Cup, in the round of 32.last_img read more

Fill stadiums, the great pending task of women’s football

first_imgLogroñoLas Gaunas44116,000 Athletic *Lezama4621,000 Madrid CFFMatapiñonera8483,000 Spanish women’s football proved last season to be able to fill a stadium with 60,739 spectators (Atleti-Barça at Wanda). This historic milestone, which broke the world record for attendance at a women’s club match, was accompanied by other great entries of this category in First class temples. To the traditional opening of San Mamés, which has been hosting women’s matches quite often for decades, the party of a Seville derby joined in Benito Villamarín (23,000 spectators) or a Real Sociedad-Athletic in Anoeta (21,234), among many other examples.Undoubtedly, 2018-19 was a season marked by good assists in this category, demonstrating the great growth of the fans of women’s football in Spain. However, far from these numbers, the reality day after day in the fields of the First Iberdrola was and is very different. Without going any further, this season, the average general attendance at matches is around 700 spectators. Added to this is the decrease in openings in large elite temples. Atlético have not yet held any women’s matches at Wanda this year and only the league has opened its doors on Heliodoro Rodríguez López (Granadilla-Betis, with 1,351 spectators), San Mamés (Athletic-Barça, with 32,068), the Reale Arena (Real-Athletic, 28,367) or el Colombino, in which Sporting de Huelva has played several games with an average entry of 750 people. These stadiums are joined by Riazor, which received 7,569 spectators for a Depor-Valencia Cup. * Teams that have played in other stadiums. Source: SoccerwayBy teams, only Barça (leader of the First), Atlético (2º) and the surprising Depor (4º) surpass a thousand spectators, the azulgrana being the one with the best average, with 2,787 people in the new Johan Cruyff. In addition to these clubs, only three teams (Madrid CFF, Valencia and Real Sociedad) exceed 700 spectators in the total season average. The rest of the clubs (10) are far below, drawing attention to the cases of Sevilla, Levante, Tacon or Rayo, which usually have an entrance of about 300 spectators. It should be noted that the majority of women’s teams play in sports cities, in areas far from the city center. Whether or not this is the reason for the low attendance, the truth is that filling the stadiums day after day and not only at specific moments is marked as one of the great pending tasks of Spanish women’s football. SportsC.D Abegondo1,1342,000 HeelCD. Real Madrid3443,000 ValenciaAntonio Puchades8103,000 I raisedCD. Buñol3723,000 First Iberdrola assists TeamStadiumAverageCapacitycenter_img Passion fruit*The palm4542,700 SevilleJesus Navas3827,000 BetisCD. Luis del Sol5423,000 Real society*Zubieta8001,500 Spanish*CD. Dani Jarque4576,000 BarcaJohan Cruyff2,7876,000 Sp. Huelva *The order5062,000 AthleticCD. Wanda1,3453,000 Vallecano Ray*CD. Vallecano Ray3001,200last_img read more

UK pays warm tribute to Michael Robinson

first_imgThe death of the former player and television commentator Michael Robinson, this Tuesday at the age of 61 after a long fight against an illness, has fallen like a bomb all over the world. Especially in his home country, UK. Shows of affection towards the emblematic figure of Robinson have taken over the entire British press. From his ex-partner Graeme Souness, until Gary Lineker, Jamie Carragher or Xabi Alonso (“You’ll never walk alone Michael”, that’s how he fired him). For the United Kingdom, a legend from Manchester City, Brighton, Liverpool and Queen ‘s Park Rangers leaves..The Times: “Michael Robinson, European Cup winner with Liverpool and Spanish television expert dies at 61. Michael Robinson’s reinvention powers were probably as great, if not greater, than his abilities as a footballer. The Leicester boy, who died at 61 after skin cancer, grew up dreaming of playing for England, then did his best to represent Ireland, before moving to Spain where he became a well-respected and much-loved television presenter, figure exuberant, although he was pending on what was happening in his native land. “Daily Mirror and Sky Sport: Graeme Souness paid tribute to her former teammate at Liverpool. “He was a great friend of mine, I have so many good memories of being in his company. If he were going out at night, Michael would be the first to invite him. A true charming man. He could tell great stories. I am really sad for (his wife) Chris and his kids. I know he had been struggling with this for a couple of years and it has been difficult for him. I have tried to call him a few times in the past few weeks and Michael is a very emotional man and he was no longer answering me. the phone. I won’t be able to talk to him anymore. “ The Sun: “A legend dies. The Liverpool hero and Spanish television star dies of cancer at age 61. Robinson scored four goals in his 24 games with Ireland between 1980 and 1986 before becoming a much-loved figure on television and even in the cinema. “Daily Mail: “Former Liverpool and Republic of Ireland striker Michael Robinson, 61, dies after long battle with cancer. He was part of Liverpool who won a memorable hat trick: Premier; FA Cup and European Cup in 1984 “The Telegraph: “Michael Robinson won the European Cup with Liverpool in 1984 and became one of the most respected television presenters in Spanish football. On the pitch, Robinson is most commonly remembered for his brief stint at Merseyside from 1983-84, when he joined one of the best teams Europe has ever seen. Though he was primarily a backup striker for Kenny Dalglish and Ian Rush, he made 30 impressive appearances in his only full season at Anfield while helping the team with three trophies: the title of league, the League Cup and most famously the European Cup against Rome, in which he appeared as a substitute. “Daily express: “Former Liverpool, Manchester City and Brighton striker dies. Robinson signed with Liverpool in the summer of 1983 after appearing in the FA Cup final with Brighton for £ 250,000. The forward challenged Ian Rush and Kenny Dalglish for the ownership at Anfield. In the 1984 European Cup final against Rome, Robinson replaced Dalglish. “last_img read more