Liberia will today discharge the only confirmed Ebola case remaining in the country, according to the Incident Management System (IMS) boss and Assistant Minister for Preventive Service, Tolbert Nyenswah.Making the disclosure yesterday at the Ministry of Information, Cultural Affairs and Tourism on Capitol Hill in Monrovia, Minister Nyenswah explained that with the current status of the fight against the Ebola virus in the country, Liberia is close to reaching zero Ebola case, but “we need to be vigilant in our fight against the virus throughout the country.” “Liberia has clearly passed 12 days without any new confirmed Ebola case. The only patient remaining in an ETU will be discharged from the Chinese ETU as a special event. “We will be waiting for the remaining 30 days to be announced by the World Health Organization (WHO) as an Ebola free nation,” Minister Nyenswah said.“Liberia’s border points remain of great concern to everyone due to the common border crossings at unauthorized points and it is important to caution residents near these places to focus on maintaining safety measures at all points,” he said. The Minister said, “Cape Mount passes 48 days of no new case, Margibi 16 days Montserrado 12 days and Lofa of over 160 days which indicates that Liberia is reaching zero Ebola case.”Liberia, through the IMS, is currently in search of 201 contacts across the country, including border points, said Nyenswah and called on the public to continue observing preventive measures to avoid further spread of the disease. Mr. Nyenswah stressed that the IMS is approaching phase three of the fight against the virus and will remain forceful in ensuring that Liberia completes the required 42 days without any new case of Ebola.“Phase three is meant to gain confidence in the health sector of Liberia and gaining the confidence of the international community in Liberia leading to airlines resuming flights to Liberia,” added the Minister. He said the IMS will be involved in quality surveillance, strengthening cross border elements including air, sea and ground points and expanding the testing of dead bodies and other illnesses related to Ebola. Despite the latest update from Minister Nyenswah on Liberia’s progress in the fight against the deadly Ebola virus disease and considering the neighboring countries’ Ebola status, many Liberians are wondering if the country could be declared Ebola free in 30 days.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
HALIFAX – A male Acadia University student accused of sexually assaulting a female student has failed in his bid to stop the school’s Equity Office from investigating the allegation.In a decision released Thursday, a Nova Scotia Supreme Court judge dismissed the male student’s application for an injunction.The court’s decision, which only refers to “Student X” and “Student Y,” says the female student was a minor when she complained to the university’s security service that she had been sexually assaulted by a male student at his off-campus residence on Nov. 19, 2016.The complaint was handed to Acadia’s judicial board, which on March 6, 2017, found the male student guilty of sexual assault and recommended he be dismissed from the university, banned from the Wolfville, N.S., campus, and prohibited from contacting the complainant.However, the male student filed an appeal with the university’s disciplinary appeals committee. It rendered a not guilty verdict on May 8, 2017, issuing a three-line statement outlining its reasons.Less than a month later, the female student filed a complaint of sexual harassment with the university’s Equity Office, under its discrimination and harassment policy.When the male student was told of the complaint process, his lawyer responded that his client would not be taking part because the case had already been dealt with by another administrative quasi-judicial process.The lawyer then sought an injunction to stop the investigation.In its submission to the Nova Scotia Supreme Court, Acadia University argued that while the female student’s two complaints were made on the same facts, “the two processes do not involve the same question nor lead to the same result,” the decision says.The university said its equity policy is narrower in scope than its judicial policy.“Its purpose is to maintain a learning environment free from sexual harassment,” the decision says. “Under the judicial policy, neither the judicial board nor the (disciplinary appeals committee) considered whether the alleged conduct constituted discrimination or harassment under the equity policy.”In the end, the court agreed and dismissed the male student’s application.A spokeswoman for the RCMP says the Mounties could be investigating this case as a criminal matter, but she could not confirm that was happening because there isn’t enough detail provided in the court ruling.